Featured post

When inspiration strikes...

I only wrote one blog last year, pitiful really for someone who considers themselves a writer, but then again, I either haven't been wel...

Translate

There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

The next step (rambling imminent).

My, how this year has flown by. It seems like yesterday I opened my blinds to yet another dismal snow-day, and read an email from The Journalist works. I found out our course would be delayed for a week due to the snow, not that I couldn't have guessed it, but it was the final straw for me.

The first day excited my inner child, building snowmen with my brother and taking photos of the south downs dressed in snow. Then the second day had me thinking "these last two days were nice, but I would like to go out now please." So when it had come up to nearly a week, it can be said that the pretty, dressed up downs were beginning to look like London tower blocks to me. (Boring, depressing and ugly).

On the sixth day my Dad and me ventured out to Eastbourne, only to be caught in a mini-blizzard an hour after our arrival. After arriving back in Brighton we headed to ASDA, which was fine, as the roads were pretty clear until we reached Bevendean. Icy roads, icy pavements, and students sliding along with their beer and bread, greeted us as we drove up to our house. Did I mention we live at the top of a hill? After 20 minutes of trying to drive a few yards, we managed to conquer the hill, and then the bus ruined it. As the bus had snow chains, wouldn't it have been easier for the sodding bus driver to stay out of the way and let us park? Apparently not, as my Dad was forced to reverse down the extremely treacherous hill.

I am probably one of the only people who didn't blame the council for this, as it is impossible to clear every single road in Brighton.

Suffice to say, I was glad once we started the course! (It meant the snow had started to melt, and I could finally get stuck in).

It was soon enough that we started, judged everyone, made friends, got drunk, studied hard, laughed harder, and even shed some tears along the way. Who would have thought journalism could be so emotionally draining? (It was all worth it though, despite the fact that I don't have a job yet).

What is my next step now? Well, I managed to fail public affairs 1 and 2, mainly due to the fact of me being cocky, thinking I would sail through those two. I set my attention on media law court and general reporting, which I passed (yay).

Short-hand evening classes and a touch-typing certificate, to prove I can actually touch type, are in order next, as well as the two re-takes. I am studying a creative writing course from home, very slowly but I am still doing it. I am also the live writer for What's On Guide Brighton, which will still keep me in journalism in some way.

I'm stuck in a rut, as I can't get a regular job, because employers think I will move on straight away. I can't get a journo job as I am in-experienced, but I need someone to give me a break. A vicious circle? Yep.

I will keep applying and writing, for now, that's the only thing I can do, I will get there in the end!

Anyway, tiredness is getting the better of me.

~ Jo

No comments: